31 Oct Startup Essentials with Creative Entrepreneurs
Curated by Creative Entrepreneurs, this three-part course will cover several essential aspects of setting up a creative business: how to network effectively, legal basics, and finance. Through seminar discussions led by experts and hands-on activities, participants will learn the skills and knowledge they need to begin to turn their creative ideas into business reality.
Section One: How to Network
• Overview – what makes things happen today – the power of connection
• Preparation – defining goals, research, preparing marketing materials
• Networking in action – lay of the land, strategies & techniques
• Harnessing trust & reciprocity – cultivating long-term relationships
This session is led by Carolyn Dailey, Founder of Creative Entrepreneurs.
Section Two: Legal Basics for Creative Startups
• What are the common characteristics of creative industry businesses?
• Company basics – key considerations on setting up, organisation and share structures
• People basics – employees, freelancers & consultants how to incentivise and retain key creative individuals
• IP basics – IP overview, understanding what you own and how to exploit and protect it
This session is led by Malcolm Murray, Partner and Head of Corporate at legal experts Lee & Thompson.
Section Three: Financial Basics for Creative Start-Ups
• Accounting basics – information tracking & financial planning
• Tax basics – corporate tax overview, HMRC, VAT, SEIS
• Fundraising basics – friends & family, angel investment, startup loans (crowdfunding to be mentioned, but not covered in detail)
This session is led by chartered accountant Dave Morrison, Partner at Nyman Libson Paul, and Shaun Beaney of the Corporate Finance Faculty of the Institute of Chartered Accountants.