18 Jul How to Identify Creativity During Interviews
It is every employer’s dream to have a team that is self-driven, sets new goals and comes up with new ways to explore their challenges. They are the creative type, who value self-expression and consider fulfilment of their passion as a reward on its own. If you are one, you know what I’m talking about.
Creatives are highly sought-after and it is common to come across job postings that highlight the need for a creative approach. That’s a pretty vague term. Creativity, however, is not vague and there are certain traits that are common among all creative people.
The common traits of creatives
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, perhaps the most noted researcher on ‘creativity’, identified these common personality traits among creative individuals in different lines of work.
- Creative individuals are energetic yet highly composed. They possess focus and are enthusiastic but also have strict downtimes for self-reflection.
- They have a mixture of maturity and childishness to their character. The emotional immaturity plays a key part in their approach to problems.
- They enjoy a light-hearted yet disciplined environment. No wonder they pursue careers that make them happy.
- Creatives tend to lose themselves in fantasy that are grounded in reality. Their way of looking at life might seem bizarre but results in outcomes that people tend to relate to over time.
- They show traits of both extroverts and introverts at the same time.
- A sense of pride mixed with humility is characteristic of all creatives. They have a sense of their own proficiency but constantly aim for greater challenges.
- Creative people are known to be psychologically androgynous, meaning they defy gender stereotypes.
- They are rebels at heart but also show conservative notions. It comes from being coherent with their choices and knowing what they want.
- They are passionate about their work yet objective about its worth. Creative individuals can reflect on the standard of their own work which help them evaluate its limitations.
They love to explore art, culture and new interests but have a low threshold for pain. Bad quality in anything they have a taste for repulses them.